JOB TITLE: Consular Associate – U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs)
JOB LOCATION: Lagos
Series/Grade: FP – 1420 6
Promotion Potential: FP-6
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 06. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) – All Agencies.
- Security Clearance Required: Secret / Confidential Clearance
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Definite not to Exceed (5 years)
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start Date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances / certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: Not Required
- Under the direct supervision of the Consular Chief, the Consular Associate is assigned a wide range of responsibilities in the American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit, Nonimmigrant Visa (NIV) Unit, Immigrant Visa Unit, and Fraud Prevention Unit (FPU).
- The jobholder provides consular services to U.S. citizens, conducts non-adjudicatory visa processing, and assists in investigation and validation studies. Incumbent also handles correspondence with the public, attorneys, U.S. and host governments, Congress, and other parties.
- Must be able to secure and maintain a Secret level security clearance.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Minimum of three (3) years of office administrative experience is required with at least one (1) year of consular experience.
- General Understanding of U.S. policies related to consular and visa operations.
- Completion of High School is required.
- This may be tested. Please specify in your application your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluent Speaking / Reading / Writing of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to input data in consular systems with minimum errors, and spot and correct errors made by others (applicants and fellow staff).
- Demonstrated skills in MS Office Suite and general computer skills including information and database management.
- Organizational skills, including task management and filing skills; communication skills including writing skills appropriate for drafting official correspondence and reports.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOS Secret Security clearance.
- Tact and good judgment in dealing with the public, often under difficult and sensitive circumstances.
- Sensitivity in evaluating evidence and applying complex regulations correctly.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Hiring Preference Selection Process: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Secret clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Degree with transcript
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.
Deadline: January 10, 2022
|Job Category||Service Associate|