JOB TITLE: Education Coordinator
JOB LOCATION: Abuja, Nigeria
Employment Type: Full time
- We are currently seeking aEducation Coordinator for an upcoming FCDO-funded opportunity in Northwest Nigeria. This position is contingent upon award.
The anticipated four-year Programme will deliver support to communities to promote learning and inclusion of girls in Kaduna, Kano and Jigawa (KJJ) and policy at federal/national level as appropriate. The programme will:
- Improve / build foundational skills of marginalized children (particularly girls) through community learning initiatives
- Reduce demand-side barriers to education to enable and improve learning for marginalized children (particularly for girls) by addressing social norms and harmful practices
- Increase the evidence base and rigorously assess the effectiveness of community and household level learning interventions.
- The Education Coordinator will be the technical lead, and provide quality assurance, for all education interventions across the KKJ states.
- S/he will oversee a team of technical officers and will coordinate with other technical leads on the project, as well as with consortium partners.
- She/he may provide leadership support if requested by the Chief of Party.
- S/he will collaborate with the CoP, GESI Specialist, MEL Specialist, sub-grantees, FCDO, and local government and community stakeholders to design, deliver, monitor and evaluate programme activities to improve foundational skills for marginalised learners and their families.
- The Education Coordinator will ensure that activities and materials are evidence based, contextualized, responsive to changing needs, and coordinated with other education, health, WASH and nutrition activities in Northwest Nigeria.
- A major focus will be on providing technical support to sub-grantees and ensuring that they deliver services on time, on budget and with strong fidelity of implementation.
- Throughout the programme the Education Coordinator will maintain positive relationships with donors, government officials, INGO partners, and community leaders.
- Master’s Degree in Education, International Development, or a related field.
- 8+ years of experience supporting complex donor-funded education activities in challenging environments with at least three years of supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated experience in instructional methods to improve foundational skills (literacy and/or numeracy)
- Familiarity with evidence-based community interventions that support foundational skills.
- Experience mobilizing communities to address barriers to education and reduce harmful social norms.
- Experience managing large-scale activities including strategic planning, work planning, contingency planning and report writing.
- Strong understanding of monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) activities and experience working with MEL counterparts to measure, learn from and adapt programming.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing education programming that is flexible and responsive to changing needs and security
- Proven ability to coordinate with government representatives, non-governmental organizations, and community stakeholders.
- Experience working in the primary education sector in Northwest Nigeria. Knowledge of the barriers to education that girls and marginalized children face in KKJ.
- Experience developing high-quality donor reports for UK-funded programs or other international donors.
- Fluency in English required. Fluency in Hausa strongly preferred.
Application Closing Date