Mercy Corps is currently recruiting candidates for the position shown below.
Job Title: Finance Officer
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2020/0004
Location: Adamawa ( with 5-10% travel to the field locations )
Position Status: Full-time
Supervisory Responsibility: Finance Assistant
Program / Department Summary
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Nigeria including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
- The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures.
- In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
- Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Senior Finance Officer and Finance Manager, the Finance Officer will assist in the accounting and documentation of all financial transactions in a timely and accurate manner.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain the bank file, ensuring that all bank information is properly filed and updated
- Responsible for office cash level oversight, coordination of monthly cash needs for the programs and submission of cash flow projection to Abuja office
- Ensure that the official cash management complies with the Country Cash Management Policy
- Monitor the cash advance tracking sheet and prepare past due advance report for the Finance Manager / Director and ensure advance reconciliation with general ledger records
- Process bank payments via online banking, checks or wire transfers.
- Prepare payment / cash vouchers and ensure that all transactions are properly and fully documented and recorded on a daily basis
- Review transactions and supporting documentation for accuracy, completeness and compliance with MC policies
- Prepare the monthly bank reconciliations
- Assist in balance account reconciliations, preparation of journal entries and prepaid account amortizations as part of the month-end closeout process
- Ensure compliance with Mercy Corps policies, donor rules and regulations and compliance with local laws
- Responsible for timely, accurate and fully documented reconciliation of distributions under Cash Transfer Programming as per Mercy Corp SOP and manual
- As required, conduct site visits and provide support to the voucher distribution process
- Prepare photocopies and scans of vouchers and other supporting documents required for HQ and donor reporting
- Assist with addressing audit-related requests
- File all cash and bank vouchers and maintain voucher filing system (hard copy & electronically) according to MC procedures
- In absence of Finance Assistant, Finance Officer will fill in the gap with support from other finance team members
- Conduct himself / herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Reports Directly to: Senior Finance Officer or Finance Manager
- Works Directly With: Finance, Operations and Program staff within Mercy Corps Nigeria.
Knowledge and Experience
- Three or more years of accounting or bookkeeping experience, including experience with double-entry accounting
- A degree in accounting or a relevant business field
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Familiarity with computerized, double-entry accounting software
- Strong organizational skills as well as attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics, as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures, is essential.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required.
- A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal employment opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
|Job Category||NGO / Community Services|