Posted 5 days ago
Job Title: Optometrist
Department: Clinical Services / Optometry
Reports to: Practice and QA Manager
Purpose of the position
- The Optometrist will work as part of a team delivering total satisfaction to our customers by conducting thorough eye examinations, contact lens assessments, and aftercare.
- You will offer our customers recommendations to the highest professional and ethical standards.
- You will use your knowledge to effectively identify customer needs and recommend eye-wear and eye-care solutions accordingly.
What you’ll do
The Optometrist will support EHA Clinics department predominantly to:
- Examine the eyes of patients of all ages in accordance with the guidelines laid out by the College of Optometrists and the General Optical Council.
- Use specialist equipment for diagnosis and testing
- Issue prescriptions for spectacles or contact lenses
- Fit and check prescribed lenses in order to correct vision defects
- Offer advice and reassurance about vision-related matters
- Offer help and advice for patients choosing frames and lenses.
- Write referral communications to doctors as required in line with legal guidelines
- Liaise with other medical practitioners and sometimes share the care of patients with chronic ophthalmic conditions.
- Meet sales targets with regard to selling spectacles & contact lenses.
- Manage staff, including dispensing opticians and store staff as required.
- Supervise and train store staff.
- Open and close the store according to established guidelines.
- Perform core administrative functions.
- Provide emotional support and measures to alleviate fear and anxiety.
- Assess patient and family readiness and identifying learning needs.
- Lead/encourage multidisciplinary approach for patient’s discharge.
- Develop and implement the teaching plan utilizing patient education manual.
- Document patient and family education.
- Participate in voluntary community health activities to promote, maintain and restore health and prevent diseases.
- Adheres to Policies and Procedures.
- Adheres to EHA Clinics Code of Conduct as well as ethical standards of the field.
EHA Clinics requires all staff to keep their knowledge and skills up to date:
- S/he is expected to continue to learn throughout their career at EHA Clinics through continuing professional development (CPD). The professional body relating to specialist areas will have information on the type of CPD to be carried out and how much should be completed each year.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to successfully perform this job.
- Possess a Degree in Optometry registered with the Nigerian Optometric Association (NOA) from a recognized institution.
- Certified and licensed to work in the state by the Federation of State Boards as an optometrist.
- Completion of compulsory internship and national service or exemption.
- Minimum of 5 years of working experience in a healthcare setting.
Key Areas of Note
- Ensure continuing education, training, and development is undertaken to meet clinical governance guidelines for Continuing Professional Development and a Personal Development Plan.
- Keep up to date with relevant medical research, technology, and evidence-based medical practice by attending continuing education courses and professional meetings, reading journals, etc.
- Perform a variety of research and analysis tasks associated with the improvement of clinical care, medical diagnosis, and treatment where appropriate.
- Audit of clinical practice and review of relevant literature.
- Research unusual symptoms and treatment options, through consultation with physicians and other medical specialists.
- Provide literature reviews and the like; review, analyze and determine the significance of a variety of diagnostic test results.
Key Skills and Attributes:
- Hold Computer literacy
- Excellent Customer Service & Communication
- Plan and perform daily activities in an organised manner
- Kind, compassionate, dedicated and patient
- Able to handle different kinds of emotions as well as manage on the job stress
- Focused, detailed and creative in decision making
- Physically and mentally stable to handle extended shifts as well as mental pressure and traumatic events
- Able to review, analyze and respond to different situations they encounter daily
- Think critically in adapting to change, judging situations and taking appropriate decisions.
Application Closing Date
|Job Category||Medical/ Healthcare / Pharmaceutical|